Now open: People, Places and Open Spaces: Poems of Penola Competition
The intent of this new competition is to seek entries of short poems relevant to the Penola and Coonawarra district related to the concept ‘People, Places and Open Spaces’. Each year will be a different theme related to this concept. The winning poem for each year is to be prepared for public display in a plaque style, and be placed permanently in the relevant public space.
Deadline: Friday the 3rd May 2019, 5pm
Entry Fee: Free to enter
Spirit of Penola’s Pioneering Women
The inaugural 2019 theme is ‘Spirit of Penola’s Pioneering Women’. The poem should paint a verbal and emotional picture, paying tribute to the pioneering women of Penola. The definition of pioneer being:
- A woman who was among those who first entered or settled the district and town of Penola;
- A woman who worked to create and sustain the social fabric of the Penola community from early settlement to current time; and/or
- A woman who opened up new areas of thought, research, inquiry, enterprise, or development.
Terms and Conditions
- Maximum TWO entries per person.
- Open to any age.
- Entries are to be a poem, of any form, up to 80 words, based on the theme for this year’s competition.
- Entries must be typewritten and be the original work of the entrant.
- Entries must have the title of the poem, form of poetry, entrant’s name and contact details clearly displayed on a cover page for the poem.
- The entries must adhere to the ‘Criteria 2019’ set out below.
- Entries close Friday the 3rd May 2019 @ 5pm (CST).
- Entries are to be emailed in Microsoft Word format to [email protected] or delivered in person to the Penola Community Library, 43 Cameron Street, Penola, SA 3277.
- The winner will be announced as part of the Penola Coonawarra Arts Festival Literary Program (exact date and time to be announced in the 2019 Festival Program).
- The Penola Coonawarra Arts Festival Committee reserves the right to display any entry submitted for competitions, including on their website – artsfestival.com.au.
- The Penola Coonawarra Arts Festival Committee reserves the right not to display any entry without explanation.
- The judging panel will consist of, but is not limited to, a representative of the group relevant to the poem theme, a representative of the Penola Coonawarra Arts Festival Committee and a person appointed by the SA Writers Centre Inc. The judges reserve the right to not declare a winner. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prize will be the poem and poet’s name being publicly displayed in a public space relevant to the theme of the poem.